Saturday, September 22, 2012

#flipclass 2012-2013 Week 5 Reflections: loving the changes!

<---- 
amazing 
room 
setup! 





Week 5 - Check!

The school year is in full swing and I feel like some things are finally starting to become routine.  Here are the highlights:
  • Four new visitors
    • The other two Algebra 1 teachers and then two teachers from another school site came on Tuesday to see what was happening in my flipped class.  All of them were really impressed with what they saw - again, with the students interacting with each other and the way they were able to work together.
    • The other two Algebra 1 teachers at my site will be beginning to flip their classes soon, and this gave them a great visual perspective of what the flipped classroom actually looks like, and it allowed them to see that it is more than the videos.   They stayed all day so were able to see both Algebra 1 and Math Analysis (two different worlds!). I'm excited to work with them and continue to give them ideas as they make the transition
  • Loved the new classroom setup
    • U-Shaped small group is amazing. Well worth the hard work of moving those super-heavy tables!
  • Algebra 1 students making videos
  • First sub day = amazing
    • I am out once a week for the next 7 weeks and about 20 times total all year.  I will be having one of my friends sub for me every time and it was wonderful to find out that the first day went AMAZING... even with my freshmen! It gives me so much more confidence when leaving my classes this year that the days will go well :)
  • Other Posts this week:
    • none. This week was crazy. I'm hoping to breathe a little this weekend

algebra 1.


seating change. It was time to change seats in Algebra 1, so on Monday they got a new seating chart now that I know their names and a little more about them.  So far, it has been really great this week and I haven't had some of the issues I had in weeks past.  


new room arrangement. In addition to new groups, I also utilized the "u-shaped" small group area I showed in last week's reflection and it was really really really awesome!  I looked at the online WSQ responses and recorded how many of the "secret questions" the students got correct.  The students that got 0 or 1 correct I asked to come to the middle table once the WSQ chat was over.  We worked through the PQ problems together.  It was actually really neat! (I know I've already said that a lot, but seriously it went so well!).  I would go over one with them "normal teaching style" with them helping me.  Then, I would have them try one with the people around them while I did a quick walk around the room.  Then, we would go over one again together but with them telling me the steps. Sometimes, I would have the students do it on the whiteboard.  It was just awesome to feel like I was able to reach the needs of the struggling learners, help them feel confident, and pull them out of the "normal group setting" where they might be afraid to ask questions and get help.

Some students felt they understood it (even though the missed the questions the previous night), so I did make them stay for a couple examples and then they could go back to their group if they felt confident.

student created videos. Thursday and Friday my students made their first "teaching" videos for Chapter 1a Concept 3. They had to write their own equation, solve it with a partner, and then record the videos.  These are far from ideal, but they are better than I expected :).

The instructions I gave them were:
1. Work out the problem on paper first to make sure you are doing it correctly.
2. Both partners must talk through the problem at some point.

Structure for the video:
1. "Hi, this is _____ and _____ from period ___. Today we are going to be doing a Chapter ____ Concept ___ problem."
2. State the problem
3. Solve it step by step
4. "Thank you for watching"

Areas for improvement
1. Some groups still solved the problem wrong!
2. Some groups talked so quietly it was hard to hear them
3. Some groups recorded in the middle of the classroom where the background noise was really loud rather than going to the corner, to the back room, or right outside.

Plans for next time:
1. Students will have to watch their own video and write at least two positives and two places for improvement.
2. Students will have to watch at least one other group (maybe 2) and do the same thing
3. Class discussion on making better videos

See the Algebra 1 videos below :)

Create your own Playlist on MentorMob!

Chapter 1 Test results.  My students did very well overall, although I am still waiting for about 10-12 students to take the test (that's another story, they will have opportunity #4 coming up next Friday after yet ANOTHER phone conversation with the parents).  Once I get all the test results I'll post the data but overall I am very impressed. I can't really compare this to last year because I don't know if the kids are comparable yet (I guess I could look at CST scores?).  We'll see, once I have time to sift through it.
Update on the week based on my plans and goals I wrote in Week 4




1. Make intentional time to "interview" and talk with every group about the math.

  • I feel like I am getting time in every day to talk with every student, but I still want to improve the quality of the conversation and focus it less on "how are you doing, what did you get done" to actually "quizzing them" about the math and having them explain things to me.

2. Actually look through my students' work in their notebooks. Ask them questions. Have them work out the problems in front of me.

  • I checked through a lot more this week.  The student-created videos are also a very eye-opening tool

3. Ask students to solve problems on their mini-whiteboards more often for me to look at.

4. Make intentional time for "small group" instruction on whatever concepts I feel need the most focus.  

  • Yay for my new seating arrangement! This makes it so much easier!


algebra 1. My plans and goals for this next week:
I feel like the four goals I have listed above are ones I want to keep for a while, until they are accomplished or become such routine and habit that I am doing them without even thinking about it.


1. Make intentional time to "interview" and talk with every group about the math.
2. Actually look through my students' work in their notebooks. Ask them questions. Have them work out the problems in front of me.
3. Ask students to solve problems on their mini-whiteboards more often for me to look at.
4. Make intentional time for "small group" instruction on whatever concepts I feel need the most focus.  

    algebra 1. My continued focus for improvement: 

    1. I still haven't really done anything with the HOT questions in class, besides ask the students if they got them answered.
    2. WSQ resubmissions are coming along and many students are "figuring it out", but there are just as many who haven't.  I don't know if their writing skills are that poor or if they don't understand the expectations.  Either way, still need to grow here!

    math analysis.

    It's been a good, but long, week.  Monday was the Unit E Test and I had 1/3 of my students NOT come prepared.  They got a nice "friendly" conversation before calling home and telling their parents they weren't allowed to take the test until the make-up day of Friday.  The students were disappointed, frustrated, and mad at themselves.

    So, of course I expected wonderful things Friday morning.

    Instead, students saunter in when they wanted to (7am sharp was the test time), didn't have their WSQ charts signed off yet and expected me to look through all their work that morning, or didn't even have the assignments complete still.

    Needless to say, they got another "talk" and it wasn't a friendly one.  And I personally called the parents. (still have a few more to get to). 

    So, the big question I am asking myself is: "Is this 'stress' going to be worth it once students figure it out?".  My answer right now is YES. I can't give up on my "policy" of requiring students to be ready to take the test by having all assignments completed just because 1/3 of the students struggled with taking responsibility and managing their time the first time around.  I expect much fewer students to be in that group on Thursday for the Unit F Test.  The next opportunity to make up Unit E is Friday, so they have a busy week.

    Students have created their blogs for the most part and will start posting on it this week.  For Unit G, instead of typing their Guided summary answers on the google form, they will be posting them on their blog.  The main purpose in this is to get used to using the blog for simple posting, working with the text tools, and adding images.  They are also learning how to embed videos and MentorMob playlists into their blog posts and pages.

    In other news, let's see:

    • Did small group teaching at the U once this week and it was really helpful for the students who needed it
    • Students are taking more initiative in taking quizzes in class (although if it's a retake they really should be doing it on their own time).
    • Students are working hard and are self-directed and focused for the majority of the class period.


    Update on the week based on my plans and goals I wrote in Week 4


    1. Meetings with students who did not succeed on Unit E test.  Look at their PQs, SSS packets, study habits, work habits in class, time management, etc... all to help them get on the right track. 

    • These will be happening next week since I had so many students not take the test.


    2. Hold students more accountable for getting a few things signed of EVERY DAY on their WSQ chart, including quizzes.  A little hand holding might go a long way in helping them learn time management.

    • I've tried to do a better job with this, but it still needs to be emphasized.



    math analysis. My plans and goals for this next week:
    1. Meetings with students who did not succeed on Unit E test.  Look at their PQs, SSS packets, study habits, work habits in class, time management, etc... all to help them get on the right track. 

    2. Hold students more accountable for getting a few things signed of EVERY DAY on their WSQ chart, including quizzes.  A little hand holding might go a long way in helping them learn time management.

    3. Students will be blogging the summary part of the WSQ this week... it will be interesting to see how it goes!

    math analysis. My continued focus for improvement: 


    1. Challenging the students that need challenging and working with the struggling students (I already know exactly who they are).

    2. Continuing to do small group teaching at the U every day as needed.

    1 comment:

    1. Love the U shape area. I have something similar in my classroom for the kids who need that close contact to feel confident.

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...